Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ice Skates and Baseball


[2011]


You tell me that you love me
You swear that you can change
You’re sorry, oh so sorry
But to me it’s all the same
The ice on which you’re walking
Was thinned not long ago
Now any sudden movement
Will find you far below
This love is not a game, my friend
It’s not three strikes, you’re out
You seem to think that staying in play
Is what this is all about
Yet all you do is swing and miss
Terrible swings, at that
In my game of ball, there’s no strikes at all
Yet still – here you are – up at bat.
I swear I must be stupid
To let you play my field
I guess it’s cuz I’m on the side
Holding up my shield
For fear that you may hit me
With a foul ball so sound
That I’ll be knocked down to the ground
And you’ll be watching the mound
You’ve swung and swung and swung again
And more times than I know
You’ve swung so hard I’ve felt the wind
I even stood to go
The ref has let you stay in play
Though why I’ve not a clue
I wish that I could leave the game
But I can’t take my eyes off of you
For now I’ll sit and watch you
Though the bat’s no longer yours
And hope to God you’ll cease your swings
No matter what the score
I’ll pry that bat straight from your hands
And give you mine to hold
Though after feeling all those swings
Don’t be surprised they’re cold
And cold they’ll stay for quite a while
In fact, it takes some time
Until the ice is thicker than thick
And skating, your hand will warm mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment