Saturday, October 8, 2011

Singing Cedars


           I was seven years old when I spent my first summer away from civilization. My family and I drove five hours north of our hometown to stay in the family cabin, poetically and fittingly named Singing Cedars by my great-uncle Joe. He built the log cabin in the early twentieth century, and lived there with his family in Oscoda, Michigan, until his death. The cabin was left to my grandfather, who encouraged my family to vacation there during the summer months.  My mother, an elementary school art teacher, could stay with my brother and sister and I even when my father had to work.
From the moment we drove our explorer down the gravel driveway leading to Singing Cedars, I began to understand its name. Though the cabin was miles from our closest neighbor, and the sounds of traffic and city life would become foreign throughout the next weeks, my ears perked to attention as we approached our new summer home. Birds gossiped with one another from above, chirping back and forth in cheerful chitchat. The sound of scampering squirrels could be heard as they chased each other along branches. The cabin itself, made of Western Red Cedar, called out to me as we climbed out of the car. Western Red Cedar fibers contain oils that give off a distinct cedar aroma, pleasant to humans but repellent to insects and moths.[1] As this smell drifted into my nose, the cabin emanated a hospitable ambiance. I immediately felt at home, and the cedars of the cabin and the trees surrounding it really seemed to sing to me, welcoming me into the intimacy and loveliness of a cabin in the woods.  Singing Cedars.
 The cabin and its surrounding area was unlike any place I’d ever experienced before. With woods surrounding the cabin for miles, and dirt trails leading to unknown destinations in the enchanted forest and beyond, a child’s imagination could run wild. Deer were spotted daily, grazing right outside the cabin, and dozens of critters and fish resided in the pond in the back yard. A wooden bridge arched across the water, and my brother and sister and I would lie on our bellies over the water. With nets dangling, we watched the fish pass under us, waiting for the opportune moment to swoop in for the big catch.
There was no television, no VCR, and no computer at Singing Cedars. The only forms of entertainment were an old radio and an upright piano. Yet as kids, my siblings and I never seemed to be bored. Every week, my mom took us into town to the township library, and we were permitted to check out as many books as we could carry. That summer, I picked out stacks upon stacks of books, from the Boxcar Children to the Great Illustrated Classics. I could barely walk with the weight of my book stack, but I was determined to read as much as I could. The more I could carry, the more I could read.  
There was something special about reading at Singing Cedars; it wasn’t the same as reading a book in the car or at the library. Being close to nature, perhaps, in the midst of trees and animals, put me in closer contact with the characters and settings of the books I read. It was easier to imagine myself on adventures with Tom Sawyer, when my own adventures were played out in the woods behind the cabin. The mysteries of Nancy Drew became even more mysterious when the sun set over Singing Cedars and the thought of bears in the darkness made me huddle up next to my sister. Without the sound of cartoons or cars, without my brother’s video games or my father’s football games, the people and
places in my books became far more real.
I sometimes read in the afternoon, spread out on a blanket in the grass. Sipping lemonade, I donned Mickey Mouse sunglasses to protect my eyes as they absorbed page after page of adventures and fairytales. I sometimes read in the evenings after dinner, curled up in a ball on an ancient chaise lounge near the fire. The chaise lounge was a faded pale green, with a chocolate stain on the left arm. I imagined that it was once the color of grass, but had been reduced to mint-chocolate chip ice cream from generations of readers like myself, curled up with a good book after a warm bath. I liked that the chair was old, and I liked that the color was faded. It was so worn in that I practically sank into it, and I felt myself melting into my reading chair, melting into the room, and melting into the warmth and comfort of the fire. I sometimes read well past “lights out” up in the loft where my bed was, clandestinely disappearing under my blanket with my book. After a few minutes of pitch black, I’d reach under my bed and quietly pull out my secret weapon: the Itty Bitty Book Lite. Not only did I read all of the books that I had chosen at the library, but I finished off my brother and sister's books, as well. In the middle of the woods in an old log cabin in northern Michigan, I discovered the pleasure of reading.
The other main attraction to me at Singing Cedars was an ancient upright piano. Far from a Steinway, it had chips on the middle C and the D and E that followed it.  The bottom note only sometimes sounded, and the top note of the instrument simply clunked, not even attempting a pitch. Many of the notes were out of tune, and the M in “Yamaha” had completely worn off. Generations of pianists in my family played on that piano, from my mother to my grandfather to my great-grandmother.  I can only imagine the number of 
stories that lie beneath every tattered key.
What really got me hooked, though, was the way I could fill the cabin up to the rafters with my music. That summer, my mom expanded my musical knowledge far beyond what I had learned from my piano teacher down the street back home. My mom showed me dozens of old music books in the piano bench, books that her father had used to teach her piano when she was younger. In fact, my mom told me, my grandfather had given her lessons on that very piano, on that very bench. Sitting on that piano bench, I felt like I was sitting with a small piece of history. I wanted desperately to be a part of it somehow, and I knew that by creating music I would continue the family tradition and maybe even create a bit of history myself.
I already knew how to read music, and though my fingers were tiny, I could already play a few scales. I took piano lessons for fun, mostly, and because my mother insisted that each of her children continue the musical family tradition. But that summer at Singing Cedars, my passion for music really took off in flight. My wings were genetic, and I inherited a special pair from my great-aunt Gladys, who had toured the country as a professional pianist. My mother’s confidence in me insisted that I not be afraid of heights, and I wasn’t. She guided my take-off, briskly walking me through the circle of fifths and a few dynamics, but after that she watched me take off by myself, spreading my wings and disappearing into my own little world. I soared into music, teaching myself to play Beethoven’s Fur Elise. After that, I knew that I had fallen in love with music. I flew through dozens of pieces, amazed and excited with my newly discovered talent. After the first few weeks at Singing Cedars, my mornings were spent tinkling away on the old upright, instead of exploring in the woods with my siblings.
 That summer at Singing Cedars was a turning point in my life; at age seven, I
realized my love for music and literature in a few magical months. It was shortly thereafter that I began writing poetry, and I soon discovered my love for writing. Writing and music have become my two outlets for expression. I can release any emotion—from exhilaration to devastation to frustration—with simple motions in my fingers through the piano or a pen. Today, music is still my greatest passion. Writing has also become an aspiration of mine, and I continue to write poetry and prose. My Writing Folder is one of my most prized possessions, and my Steinway piano is the thing I treasure most in the world.  That first summer at our cabin, amid grazing deer and beautiful sunsets, my heart sang for the first time. It sang of music and reading, of family and appreciation. And though our cabin was sold years ago, always I’ll know that I found my voice at Singing Cedars.

No comments:

Post a Comment