Saturday, October 8, 2011

I Am Man


20 November 2006

My speaker is from “Portrait of an old man” by Leonardo DaVinci.  It comes from the book The Art of DaVinci by Douglas Mannering.  It came from my mother-the-art-teacher’s personal art book collection; however, upon research I have discovered that it is no longer in print (copyright 1981 by Hamlyn Publishing Group Limited).  But if you would like to view a replica of this painting it is Figure 3 on this website (not to be confused with Leonardo’s recently found self-portrait that the website features).  The caption depicts “Portrait of an old man” to be Leonardo’s father, Ser Piero da Vinci, or uncle Francesco da Vinci. But I was not aware of the historical context of the painting when I wrote the piece, so pay no attention to whatever Davinci’s supposed motivations for the portrait were.  In other words, I wrote the prose based only on what I saw. 



I Am Man

I am man.  I have seen the horrors of the world and I look sternly upon those that will follow in my footsteps.  I know about the terrors of war and the violence that mankind insists on instilling upon each other for petty things: land, wealth, power.  I see before me generations of violence and tyranny to come.  My children’s children will see what I have seen in my many years, but I wish for them otherwise.  I wish for them to ignore the ridiculousness of politics.  I have been pulled back and forth for the sake of such things, and why I cannot say, but I refused to acquiesce to such absurd notions.  Issues of legality have torn apart family relations, and I regret disputing over such irrelevant matters.  People have preached to me of religions, of Christianity, Judaism…but I believe none of it.  The idea of divine gods affecting a man’s life, a man’s actions, and a man’s fate, is absurd. I refuse to worship such gods and accept such philosophies as the truth.  The riddles of nature and the complexities of the human body—those are issues worth investigating.  The conundrums of nature are intriguing, indeed, and anatomy and science are the most valuable things a man can study and strive to assimilate into the joys of life, love, and knowledge.  Mathematics, the human body, nature.  These are the things that man must read about.  Art, music, culture.  It is in these subjects that true importance lies.  I have loved, and I have been loved.  I have been titled princely by some, and ridiculed by others.  But who are you to judge me?  I am what I am, and I have seen enough of this world to know that it is every man is for himself.  Nothing can affect my goals and affections of this life.   I am old, and my wrinkles are representative of the struggles that I have been through, the struggles that I have seen others go through, and the struggles that I know are to come when I die. Ah, death.  It is not exempt from my stern gaze, but I know it will overtake me soon enough.  Death sees my wrinkles, and my long, unkempt gray hair.   Death sees my weariness, sees what my eyes pessimistically see in the world before me.  My eyes see black, and my eyes see white.  There is good in this world, and there is evil.  There is good, yet still I frown.  I frown for the suffering, and I frown for the war, and I frown for my children’s children.  My brows are thick and scolding, for I see in man’s future a future of war, violence, and terror; I fear for the generations to come, for the horrors that man is capable of.  Yet, I am man. 


No comments:

Post a Comment