Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tomatoes and Japs

[University of Michigan, 2006]

Tomatoes and JAPs

Alone at a table
The empty chair across from me stares.
The tomato from my sandwich tossed aside, unwanted.
I wish I liked tomatoes.

“Three ninety-five,” the cashier behind me says.
When did a meal get so cheap?
No wonder America is fat.
Burger, fries, soda
Or one loaf of bread?

The table wobbles restlessly
Like my unsteady thoughts
Teeter-tottering back
And forth, indecisive.

“F of x equals y cubed divided by two,” one table says.
“1943,” says another.
“The social implications are obvious.”
“But Natasha’s character flaw is her perfection.”
“Number two is false.”

All the right answers to all the wrong questions
The chair is still empty and
I get up to leave.

But I suddenly am glued to my seat
As a group of JAPS walk by.
I can’t help myself, intrigued
I study the species intently.

Tight exercise pants and side ponytails
“Like, oh…my God…”
Jewish American Princess, you amuse me from my chair
Sororities and café lattés
Walking in herds, you terrify small children
Chattering at high speeds
In high pitches, like a flock of birds

Oh, those UGs that you don
On a daily basis, displaying
Your wealth, your princess-like status
Through your big bug-eyed sunglasses
You see the world and the world
Sees you, precious JAP
O precious princess of popped collars
And pearl earrings, plastic is what you are.

Just swipe daddy’s credit card, darling JAP
Your innocence dwells in his eyes alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment